Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Trump says Joe Lieberman is top contender for new FBI director

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump said Thursday that Joe Lieberman was his top choice to become FBI director, filling the slot left open after Trump fired James Comey, his previous FBI head, last week.

Trump, speaking to a group of television anchors at the White House Thursday afternoon, said that Lieberman, the former senator from Connecticut and Democratic vice presidential nominee, was his leading candidate to run the agency.

The president also told the group that he was close to a decision, an assertion he repeated later at a joint appearance with President Juan Manuel Santos of Colombia.

"We're very close to an FBI director," Trump told reporters as he posed for photos with Santos in the Oval Office, saying his choice would be announced "soon."

Some senators on Capitol Hill Thursday were already expressing skepticism Thursday about choosing a politician to lead the independent investigations bureau.

Lieberman, originally a Democrat and later an independent, was not always Trump's top pick, either.

Previously, the president had expressed interest in Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn, R-Texas, for the post. Cornyn took himself out of the running, saying he believed he could best serve the president by remaining in the Senate.

Joe Lieberman, the former Connecticut senator, leaves the White House o n Wednesday after meeting with President Donald Trump. [Al Drago | New York Times]

Joe Lieberman, the former Connecticut senator, leaves the White House o n Wednesday after meeting with President Donald Trump. [Al Drago | New York Times]

Trump says Joe Lieberman is top contender for new FBI director 05/18/17 [Last modified: Thursday, May 18, 2017 5:28pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. VIDEO: Obamacare is "death,' President Trump says

    National

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump is calling Obamacare "death," as he urges Republican senators to "do the right thing" on an overhaul effort.

    President Donald Trump speaks about healthcare, Monday, July 24, 2017, in the Blue Room of the White House in Washington.[Alex Brandon | Associated Press]
  2. Dragon ride in Harry Potter section of Universal closing for new themed ride

    Florida

    Universal Orlando announced Monday that it will close Dragon Challenge for a new "highly themed" Harry Potter ride to open in 2019 — sending wizard fans into a guessing game with hopes for a Floo Powder Network or the maze from the Triwizard Tournament.

    Universal Orlando announced Monday that it will close Dragon Challenge on Sept. 5 for a new "highly themed" Harry Potter ride to open in 2019. The ride, originally the Dueling Dragons roller coaster, was renamed and incorporated into the Wizarding World of Harry Potter when the hugely popular area opened in 2010.
  3. CDC changes Zika virus guidance for pregnant women

    Federal health officials are changing their testing recommendations for pregnant women who may be exposed to the Zika virus through travel or sex or because of where they live.

  4. Necropsy confirms drowning as Snooty the manatee's cause of death

    Human Interest

    BRADENTON— The South Florida museum aquarium will re-open Tuesday and grief counselors will be available after the untimely death of beloved manatee Snooty.

    Snooty, the Manatee County mascot, turned 60 in 2008. Hundreds of people came to the Parker Manatee Aquarium to see Snooty at his birthday party. He was the first manatee to have a recorded birth date on July 21, 1948.

 [Times (2008)]
  5. Charlie Gard's parents withdraw legal action over their sick baby

    World

    LONDON — The parents of critically ill baby Charlie Gard dropped their legal bid Monday to send him to the United States for experimental treatment after new medical tests showed it could no longer help.

    Chris Gard and Connie Yates, the parents of critically ill infant Charlie Gard, arrive at the Royal Courts of Justice in London ahead of the latest High Court hearing in London Monday July 24, 2017. They  returned  to the court for the latest stage in their effort to seek permission to take the child to the United States for medical treatment. Britain's High Court is considering new evidence in the case of Charlie Gard. The 11-month-old has a rare genetic condition, and his parents want to take him to America to receive an experimental treatment. [Jonathan Brady | PA via AP]